Hi, Hello: An Introduction!

 1. My Political Typology Quiz Results
               The verdict is back and I am not surprised. According to the political typology quiz, I am a solid liberal. Strangely, I thought I wasn't so liberal, I just consider myself a humanist.


         2. Political influences (if any)

             My initial degree is in journalism and anthropology from Texas State University. These things in mind, I often tried to stay neutral - so that meant observing objectively as I could and not interacting in politics. When I was in high school and college, though, I was always involved in civil rights groups and organizations like the Xicano/a Education Project and others. 

          3. My political experiences (voting, working on a campaign, and so forth)

             Despite attempts to be a journalist and stay neutral, right out of college, I couldn't find a paying writing gig, despite all my attempts! The only newspapers I got job offers for were in Newport, CT, and the Midland-Odessa area. By those years of my early twenties, I was already enthralled by the music and entertainment industry of Austin and wanted to live and be here, so eventually, I got a job working at the Texas Capitol. In total, I have worked a summer internship with Scripps Howard at the Nation's Capitol, and two legislative sessions working at our state capitol. Once as a student journalist for the Houston Chronicle / San Antonio Express-News Capitol Bureau and a second as a junior lobbyist once out of college and in the workforce for embattled lobbyists McWilliams & Associates. 

         4. Why are you taking the class?

             Strangely and despite my previous degree, this class is required on the pre-med degree path AND it opens up financial aid and scholarship opportunities so here I am!

         5. What do you hope to get out of the class? What would you like to learn in the class?

            I love/hate politics. I listen to NPR every single day. What's going on in our world and with our government is stressful, disheartening and tough. I think that it is important for us as students and individuals in the world to know and understand the way our government works. As I embark on this re-set and career transition, my end goal is to work with mindfulness and knowledge with my healthcare skills in Central and South Texas. Hopefully, I can use the knowledge I have gained about how the system and bureaucracy work to make small changes on a local and very small level. Compassion and knowledge amongst ourselves and others are vital in today's society. 

    Comments

    Popular Posts